Sunday 20 July 2014

Out and About

A visit to my Daughter in Leeds presented the chance of adding to my Quest total. I thought it would be worthwhile to see something which I had little or no chance of seeing further North so Gatekeeper was the target species.
I had visited Brockadale NR earlier in the season and it looked just right for butterflies in general. Steep sided, south facing, limestone couldn't go wrong. So when I arrived just after 10am and reversed the car to park I was greeted by the sight of the target before I got out of the car.
The site was a short walk away but there was a small triangle of land beside the car park  only about 20 square yards in area. It was absolutely alive with butterflies, Red Admiral, Gatekeeper, Marbled White, Small Tortoiseshell, Ringlet, Meadow Brown, Skippers and Gatekeeper. I was standing in the middle with them flying all around, a sight never to be forgotten.
Male


Female



Onto the reserve and it was no less populated with the addition of Dark Green Fritillary and whites.




A small stream runs through the reserve which supported dozens of Banded Damoiselles


Although now getting toward the end of the Marbled White (a recent count stopped at 350) and Dark Green Fritillary, anyone interested in this subject must consider a visit.


The temperature at midday was to hot to  watch so I decided to move on but how best to improve my count. Knowing Golden Acre Park, Leeds has a good range of trees I thought there will be oaks and possibly Purple Hairstreak which I had dipped four times back home. I was lucky enough to stumble on an avenue of young oaks and within a few minutes something silvery flickering in the tops. Result. Number 34 in the bag.
There were 4 to be seen but only when the sun shone.


2 comments:

kirstallcreatures said...

Good post, nice pics of the gatekeeper. we'll keep our eyes open at goldenacre park for the purple hairstreaks. good spot. Linda

Citybirding said...

Will look forward to your sightings