Saturday 13 March 2010

Late stroll at Prestwick

Had a walk around Prestwick Carr this evening. First up the Bridle Path was very quiet with Yellow Hammer,Great Tit,Chaffinch, Long-tailed Tit and Wren flitting along the hedgerow as I walked. The flooded field held only Black-headed Gull with the setting sun breaking through the cloud strands now and again. I was interested to note that someone has been busy erecting bird box on the trees adjacent to the path.
Back down to the bumpy road and at the crossroads could see the flock of about 35 Pied Wagtail in the field. High in the hedge, a group of ten Redwing bathed in the last rays of the sun.
Walking east along the bumpy road, three Roe Deer made off in no great haste toward the wood. A couple of Canada Geese flew in and a group of about twenty Curlew lifted off a particularly wet field.
Then on the north side of the road - Barn Owl hunting over the rough ground. I was fortunate enough to be able to watch it for about fifteen minutes. Then a Short-eared Owl appeared from the direction of the wood, heading east, and then was gone out of sight.
As I reached the east end of the road the Barn Owl was still hunting and it crossed over the road into the adjacent field where the last I saw of it was when it pounced, so I presume successfully.
Almost dark by now so I headed back along the road. Its the first time I've walked along at this time of night and was surprised at all of the different sounds - bird calls, flapping, and scuttling. An owl called which I'm reasonably certain was from a Tawny.
About a dozen unidentified geese flew across the road, quite low, and over the wooded area. Heading away from the Carr I made one last stop at the last lay by before Prestwick and there were another dozen geese flew into the flooded field. I would have liked to have seen what they were because there was just enough reflected light on the water to see that there were different size geese out there.
So quite a bit of variation in the stroll and very enjoyable.

2 comments:

Johnnykinson said...

Hi Dick
I did the same during the week and spent a cracking hour or so in the dark. As you say its amazing the amount of sound you here. I think it was Tuesday when i was there and predominantly Teal and Snipe were the main species. I sent a couple of pairs of Mallard up as wandered the "wonky" road and 2 or 3 small numbers of geese came in. As you said, very enjoyable. Lack of Owls in my case but what the heck.
John

Citybirding said...

Hi John,
I was fascinated by the noises coming out of the reeded areas. Must do some homework on wildlife calls
Dick