Monday 14 September 2009

Our recent visit to Berwick coincided with the end of a bit of easterly blow which resulted in kelp and weed stacked up to three feet high on the Little Beach next to Berwick Pier along with good numbers of Dunlin, Ringed Plover, Turnstone, Redshank, Oystercather with a few Sanderling and Black-tailed Godwit.
It is an open beach so getting close to get some decent pics was going to be tricky.
However, I found that if I could slowly get myself parked up beside the only sizable rock on the beach, then particularly the Dunlin and Ringed Plover would come within 15-20 feet, and so that was the strategy for the times I was there.



I have found both here and elsewhere that the order in which they will take flight if disturbed will be - first Redshank then Ringed Plover, Dunlin, then almost always last will be the Turnstone.
I wonder if this is a confidence thing they have on how quickly they can scarper.

1 comment:

kirstallcreatures said...

Lovely pics of the small waders! Linda